- The official requirements can be found on our Bulletin page.
- The department requirements are in addition to the University’s basic requirements for undergraduate degrees. The department expects majors to be familiar with this information.
- If you have questions, please contact the Student Services Specialist.
Departmental Requirements for the Math Major:
The Math major requires 64 units. (For information on the Honors track, see the Honors Math Major page.)
Note: Math courses taken during Spring 2020 or during the 2020-21 academic year that ordinarily count toward the Math major will still be valid if taken S/NC (Spring 2020) or CR/NC (2020-21). These will not count against the limit of 6 CR/NC elective units that may be applied towards the major. Transfer credits for courses taken elsewhere during Spring 2020 or the 2020-21 academic year and judged equivalent to Stanford courses will be treated the same as those Stanford courses.
- 49 units of Math Department courses all taken for a letter grade (at least 24 must be taken from Stanford).
- 8 Math Department courses numbered among Math 56 and those above 63.
- AP Calculus credit can count towards these 49 units
- Stats 116, Phil 151, and Phil 152 are viewed as Math Department courses and can count towards the 49 units. No other courses outside the Math Department can count in this way. There are no exceptions to this for any reason.
- Math Q courses can also count towards the 49 units.
- If a course is cross-listed, in order for it to be used towards the 49 units, majors MUST enroll in the Math section.
- 15 additional units of electives
- Math Department courses numbered 101 and above or from approved out-of-department electives (see the Electives page for more information)
- Math 199 may only be counted towards electives, not towards the core 49 units above.
- At least 9 of these units must be taken for a letter grade (so majors may take up to 6 units for CR/NC).
- The Math 50 series is highly recommended.
- Math 51M and Math 193 cannot be counted towards the major or minor.
- One WIM (Writing in the Major) course is a University requirement for the major and must be taken for a letter grade.
- The Math WIM courses to choose from are: Math 101, Math 109, Math 110, Math 120, and Math 171.
- Please note: Math 101 must be taken 2015-16 or after to be a valid WIM course
To help you plan your courses and track the major requirements, use:
Students with a double major or a minor should be aware:
- Only Math 50/60CM/60DM series and first-year calculus can be double counted.
- If the constraints are a problem, students have the option of declaring Math as a secondary major which allows unlimited double-counting. (See here for information on a secondary major, at the bottom of the page.)