Timeline for declaring the major:
After you have applied to declare the math major in Axess, your request will be reviewed by the Mathematics department. Requests are reviewed on a monthly basis from September through June. You should hear back from the department regarding the decision within one month of your declaration request. We may ask for additional information during the process. If your declaration request is approved, you will hear from the department regarding next steps.
What we are looking for:
Before declaring, we expect that students will have completed one of the 50/60CM/60DM series (or have equivalent background) and one 100-level Math class with at least a B- in these courses taken at Stanford. This expectation is intended to ensure that students are well prepared for future Math courses. Please note that Math 193 cannot count as the 100-level Math course.
Choosing a Faculty Advisor:
Most students ask the department to assign an advisor to them, so please let the Student Services Specialist know if you have a faculty member you would like as your advisor. Please also reference the major advising page for more information.
- AP/IB/A-levels Calculus credit can be used towards the major requirements only if it is on your Stanford transcript. Scores must be sent to and processed by the University Registrar for the scores to appear on your transcript.
- Transfer credit: see Transfer Credit Process page
- Electives: see Electives page
- The only courses that can be double-counted toward any other degree program (major, minor) are the Math 50/60CM/60DM series and below. There are no exceptions.
- It is the student’s responsibility to know and understand the requirements of the major.
Questions? Contact the Math Department’s Student Services Specialist.